Gregory A. Franklin
An adoptive parent himself, Gregory Franklin has experienced first-hand the challenges and joys of adopting a child. Adoptions involve a highly emotional area of law in which any legal misstep can cause devastating effects. With more than 20 years of adoption experience, Greg's goal is to develop a legally secure plan that serves the best interests of the child and respects the wishes and interests of both the adoptive parents and the birth parents. Greg works extensively with Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and transgendered clients, and has represented clients in cases which have broken new ground in this area. Greg is passionate about adoptions - he is a frequent lecturer and author on ethics and adoption-related topics and he works tirelessly to achieve a positive result for adoption families.
In his representation of birth parents, Greg will assist in locating adoptive parents, negotiating open adoption and post-adoption contact agreements, and coordinating the process with the hospital and the adoptive parents.
Greg has considerable experience in the developing area of assisted fertility, including surrogacy and gestational carrier agreements, donor embryos and eggs, and in obtaining parentage and pre-birth orders.
Greg also helps to create permanent families through stepparent and co-parent adoptions, grandparent adoptions, extended-family custody agreements, foster care arrangements and international adoptions. He will assist in selecting the right avenue for achieving adoption goals, including the decision about whether to pursue domestic or international adoption, the choice between agency and private adoptions, selecting home study resources, managing subsidy and Adoption Tax Credit issues, and locating post-adoption services.
If you or someone you know is interested in adoption or assisted fertility, please contact our firm to schedule a consultation with Greg.
To learn more about Greg's adoption practice, please visit his adoption website at www.AdoptionNY.com.
Areas Of Practice
- Adoption Law
- Family Law
- Real Estate
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1985
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1984
- Honors: Editor-in-Chief, Fordham University School of Law Moot Court Board
- Honors: Best National Brief, Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, 1983
- Grinnell College
- A.B. - 1978
- Major: Political Science
Honors And Awards
- New York Super Lawyers, 2007 - 2010
Professional Associations And Memberships
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, Fellow, Past Chair, International Adoption Subcommittee
- American Academy of Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys, Fellow
- Monroe County Bar Association, Fee Arbitration and Ethics Committee, Past Chair
- Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys, Judicial Evaluation and Legislative Committees
- New York State Bar Association, Adoption Subcommittee
- Adoption Resource Network at Hillside Children's Center, Founding Member, Board of Directors